Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site.

We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze how you use this website, store your preferences, and provide the content and advertisements that are relevant to you. These cookies will only be stored in your browser with your prior consent.

You can choose to enable or disable some or all of these cookies but disabling some of them may affect your browsing experience.

Currently Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

Start my DBS check


Here are some of the most common questions we get about the Disclosure certificate and the process for getting one.

Your Disclosure Certificate

Q: I’m starting a new job, do I need a new DBS Check?
A: It’s the employer’s responsibility to decide whether they will accept an existing Disclosure certificate or whether they want you to apply for a new one.

Q: I’m self-employed – do I need a new DBS Check each time I start work with a new client?
A: Your client will decide whether they will accept your current DBS Check. They are within their rights to ask you to apply for a new one.

Q: Am I already covered as I had a disclosure done a few years ago?
A: There’s not expiration date on a DBS Check, just the date it was issued. Employers have their own policies about when they require Disclosures to be renewed. They may accept your old Disclosure check, but don’t have to.

Q: How long does it take certificates to be issued?
A: We can’t control the processing of your DBS Check as that’s handled by Disclosure Scotland. Their average turnaround time is 10 working days. It can take longer if any points on your application need to be clarified.

Q: Who can get a DBS Check?
A: Anyone can ask you for a DBS Check, but it’s your choice whether to supply the information or not. If it’s connected for a job, many employers will help you to get your Disclosure before starting work.

Q: What happens to the certificate?
A: The person whose name is on the certificate has the certificate sent to them, and then keeps it.

Q: What information is shown on a DBS Check form?
A: Only unspent criminal convictions are shown on a DBS Check form. Spent convictions, cautions and warnings will not be shown on a DBS Check.

Q: How does my certificate arrive?
A: DBS Check certificates are sent out to you by first class post to the address you’ve supplied on your application. Once you’ve submitted your application, you can’t change the address it should be sent to.

Q: When does my certificate expire?
A: There’s no expiry date on any Disclosure certificates. It’s up to each employer to decide how often employees or contractors should apply for a new Disclosure. Usually, a new certificate is asked for annually.


Filling in the form

Q: I don’t have a passport or National Insurance number, what do I do?
A: Give us a call or complete the form on our contact page and we’ll talk you through your options.

Q: How do I make a payment online?
A: We use Surf and Pay to manage our online payments, but not all types of credit or debit cards are accepted. If you are having problems getting a payment to go through, contact us and we’ll try to resolve the matter.

Q: Help – I can’t get my online application to be accepted?
A: If your application won’t move to the payment page, double check that you have completed all of the required information, and in the format required. Contact us if you’re still having difficulty after checking.

Q: What does “move in year” mean on the application form?
A: This just means the year that you moved to the address listed on your application form. If you’ve moved more than once in the same year, just put the same year for all. Remember that you’ll need to list all of your addresses going back five years to get your certificate.


Other information

Q: What does a spent conviction mean?
A: How long it takes for a conviction to be considered spent will depend on the type of sentence ordered for the offence, and the associated rehabilitation period. These requirements are all laid out in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, which covers all convictions in a criminal court, hospital orders under the 1983 Mental Health Act, juvenile court cases and some other disciplinary proceedings.
The length of time for a conviction to be spent (also known as the rehabilitation period) depends on the length of the original sentence. “Sentence” doesn’t just refer to a prison term; it could also be probation, a fine or a conditional discharge. The rehabilitation period usually runs from the date of the conviction in court and are as follows:

  • Prison sentence of more than 2.5 years – never considered spent
  • Prison sentence between 6 months and 2.5 years – spent after 10 years
  • Youth custodial sentence between 6 months and 2.5 years – spent after 10 years*
  • Sentence for corrective training of between 6 months and 2.5 years – spent after 10 years*
  • Dismissed with disgrace from military service – 10 years*
  • Borstal sentence – 7 years*
  • Dismissed from military service – 7 years*
  • Sentence in Youth Offending Institution or youth custody for 6 months or less – 7 years*
  • Most sentences resulting in a fine – 5 years*
  • Young offender sentence between 6 months and 2.5 years – 5 years
  • Probation order or community service (someone over the age of 18) – 5 years
  • Probation order or community service (under the age of 18) – 2.5 years or until the order stops, whichever is longer
  • Sentence in hospital under the 1983 Mental Health Act – 5 years, or 2 years after the order stops, whichever is longer.
  • Young offender detention up to six months – 3 years
  • Care order, supervision orders, binding over, reception order or conditional discharge – 1 year after the order is made or 1 years after it expires, whichever is longer
  • Absolute discharge – 6 months
  • Disqualification – whatever the period of the disqualification is
  • Cautions, warnings, reprimands – as soon as they are issued
  • Conditional cautions – as soon as the condition ends

*Periods are halved when the person concerned was under 18 when convicted.



Q: Can you help me get a Standard or Enhanced check?
A: Unfortunately we can only help with DBS Checks.

Q: Can I still apply for a Disclosure if I live overseas?
A: Yes, we’re happy to take overseas applications.

Q: How can I get in touch?
A: Use our contact page to send us a message, and we’ll try our best to get back to you within 1 working day.



Q: Who should pay for my Disclosure Certificate?
A: There are no set rules about who should pay for a Disclosure. Often, employers are happy to meet the cost of the Disclosure but they aren’t legally obliged to do so.

Q: What types of payments are accepted?
A: We accept many different types of cards. Contact us and we can advise of which cards we accept.



Q: Is it possible to cancel my application?
A: If you ask to cancel before the application has been submitted to Disclosure Scotland or the DBS, we will endeavor to provide a refund. If your application already been submitted to the relevant authority, we will not be able to refund any of our service fee. Please refer to the terms and conditions for full details of the refund and cancellation policy.