Thousands of students are excitedly confirming their University places after receiving their A-level results. For many students, taking up a university place goes hand in hand with getting a part time job to support their studies. A move into the world of work might mean a DBS check too, but are there special DBS rules for students?


DBS For University

For most students, they won’t need a DBS check just to start on their University course. Universities often don’t ask about a student’s criminal past, as an attempt to help ex-offenders with rehabilitation. There are however exceptions to this. If a student wants a place on a course to become a teacher, doctor or physiotherapist, they will be asked for an enhanced DBS check before starting. There are two reasons for this. Firstly, the occupation on graduating needs a DBS check and there’s no point in training someone for three years if they can’t get a job at the end. Also, most courses of this type involve hands-on practical sessions with children or patients, and the university must make sure that students don’t pose any risk.


DBS Checks and Part Time jobs

Most of the typical student part-time jobs in bars or retail won’t ask for a DBS check. This sort of work doesn’t fall under the definition of regulated activity, so standard and enhanced disclosure checks don’t apply. Not many employers ask for a basic disclosure either, even though this type of less detailed check is available to everyone. If however you’re hoping to pick up work helping out at a child’s sports club or doing ad-hoc shifts as a care worker, then those occupations do require a DBS check. Employers are usually well-informed about what they should be doing.


Application Process

There is no difference in the basic application process for any DBS check for students. As with everyone else, students mist complete the application form either online or as a hard copy, then show key documents to prove their identity and address. It’s this verification stage which often causes most problems for students.


Lack of Documentation

The main problem for students is getting the right combination of documents to verify their details. Students living at home might not be on the electricity bill, and might opt to have bank statements digitally rather than as a hard copy. If you don’t have a passport, only a provisional driving licence and aren’t named on the water bill in your shared student house, this can be tricky. There are usually ways around the document issue, but you might have to do some research. Usually the easiest way of working out what you need is to gather together what proof you do have of your identity first. Speak to the DBS helpline and get advice from them. Long term, things are going to be a lot easier if you start building up a financial and social history in your own name. Make sure you’re on the council tax bill, take out a bank account in your own name, and make sure all tenants are listed on utility bills in shared houses.